Because I am focusing on Depression here this week. I thought I would make my Thursday Thirteen a list of scripture showing Biblical characters who dealt with depression. Of course the main character that everyone thinks of being depressed in the Bible is David. You don’t have to spend much time reading the book of Psalms to discover that he battled with depression regularly. However you also don’t have to read very far to find that he depended on the promises and faithfulness of God to bring him comfort. The purpose of today’s list is to bring to light the reality of the mental and emotional battle that goes back thousands of years. A Thursday Thirteen list in the future will provide you with a list of scripture to show the encouragement God provided them and how He encourages us today in the same way.
1. Psalm 6:6 – I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.
2. Psalm 6:3 – My soul is in anguish, How long, O Lord, how long?
3. Psalm 38:10 – My heart pounds, my strength fails me; even the light has gone from my eyes.
4. Jeremiah 20:14 – Cursed be the day I was born! May the day my mother bore me not be blessed.
5. Psalm 42:11 – Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
6. I Kings 19:4 – He (Elijah) came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, LORD,” he said “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.”
7. Psalm 88:3 – For my soul is full of trouble and my life draws near the grave.
8. Job 17:11 – My days have passed, my plans are shattered, and so are the desires of my heart.
9. Jonah 4:3 – Now, O LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.
10. Psalm 88:14 – Why, O LORD, do you reject me and hide your face from me?
11. Psalm 88:6 – You have put me in the lowest pit, in the darkest depths.
12. Psalm 13:1,2 – How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?
13. Psalm 88:18 – You have taken my companions and loved ones from me; the darkness is my closest friend.